2/23/10


Perhaps the most interesting part of Heidegger's "Building, Dwelling, Thinking" is his definition of the term "mortal" in relation to the concept of dwelling. The writer breaks it down into four components, which state that in order to be mortal one must "save the earth," leave natural elements like the sun and moon to their own devices, do not attempt to influence divinity, and strive to live life well in expectation of death. Combined these items constitute what Heidegger defines as dwelling on this earth.


I found this interesting because I've only ever thought of dwelling as a noun to mean a physical "home." Never had I considered it as a term to describe our mortality. When I think of the word "dwelling" I think of caves, places with light or fire, where people can sleep and keep warm. To regard it as a figurative noun is to connect the idea of the home with our survival. I'm reminded of that list of basic necessities without which man cannot survive: food, water, clothing, shelter, etc. The shelter is the one that Heidegger targets, though I've always thought of shelter as the weakest addition to that list. Is it really that important for man to have a roof over his head to survive? Or does Heidegger's definition of the dwelling make this the most important necessity of them all? I can see how all of the other requirements of survival could fit under the umbrella of "dwelling," but do not believe that "shelter" means the same thing. The former transcends physical needs, while the latter remains there.

No comments:

Post a Comment